Monday, June 16, 2014

We've Had Rain Followed By Sun

It rained last week, and this weekend.  And in between the sun came came out and shined brightly.  (They were some beautiful days!)  But the weeds in the garden grew about two inches since last I was in the garden.  I'm not kidding either.  Especially in the pumpkin rows; those rows are all new this year so there are more seeds in the ground and the grass is going crazy.  I knew this would be an issue this year, and part of the reason I chose to grow pumpkins there rather than beans or tomatoes where I would have to be walking the rows daily.  So today I spent a good deal of time hoeing the weeds and keeping things in control.  I may need to break out the tiller tomorrow however, because that grass is thick in spots.

Another volunteer has adopted two of the butternut squash rows, and she did a really  nice job hoeing the weeds out of those two rows.  It looks so nice!  This was the last row in the garden last year (Row 24) and the grass is not so bad here.

Upon looking around I noticed that the zucchini has sprouted.  This row is adopted by a mother and daughter.  They should be a big help keeping up with the zucchini harvests in July and August.

The Sunrise Rotary has adopted this short row of pole beans; they are purple too!  I need to get the stakes put in here so the plants can start climbing.  I imagine it will only be another week before they start climbing away.

This is another row of bean adopted by a small group from 2\42 Community Church, I call them Team R&R.  I sent three sisters out to weed the Rotary's row so I could put the stakes in there, and they chose to weed this row instead because it needed it more.  No problem; I'm sure Team R&R appreciates the help!

We also harvested 26 pounds of strawberries today.  That is a lot of strawberries.  I have no photo, unfortunately.  But trust me, that is a lot.  And we are in need of more produce containers, so if you happen to eat strawberries or other produce that comes in a plastic container, please do not throw it away or put in your recycle bin.  Bring them the Victory Garden and let us put them to very good re-use!!

No comments:

Post a Comment