Monday, June 9, 2014

Busy Times in the Garden Today

First off, look at the brilliant colors that are blooming in the flower area of the garden!  I am so glad this cheery space exists in the garden, because it welcomes me into the garden each day with an ever-changing array of flowers!

Today I had 10 people come out to the garden, and we accomplished a lot of little and time consuming tasks.  I finally have all the major issues worked out of the irrigation, and together with another young man, I walked each and every row making sure the drip tape was working correctly and positioned near my plants and seeds.  I was excited to see quite a few seeds popping up through the ground. 

We also started staking our peppers and caged the eggplants.  I had hopped to stake my tomato plants and pole beans, but I need to borrow a fence post driver for those posts.  They are too tall or otherwise challenging to drive into the ground.  I'm adding fence post driver to my wish list, because currently I have to borrow one each spring and that creates a small challenge.

 Some of the plot-renters came out this evening to do their volunteer work.  It was a good time to weed these peas really well, so they set about weeding them and trying to encourage the plants to attach to the trellis. 
When all was said and done it looked really nice!  I can't wait to have some peas in a week or two.  I planted sugar snap peas and snow peas.  You can also see a bit of the row next to the peas where we planted Lemon Cucumbers.  We grew these last year, and while they are not the most popular items in the food pantry, the volunteers loved something different, and when I took them to special events to hand out the kids loved them, and I loved watching them eat cucumbers like an apple.

Every day is something exciting to watch come up from the ground, flower, or otherwise change in the garden.  It is a busy time of year and I love watching the changes from day to day!

No comments:

Post a Comment