Saturday, June 28, 2014

2\42 Community Church & June Servefest

Today the garden hosted a group from 2\42 Community Church. This is usually an awesome bunch of volunteers, and we accomplish a great deal while having some fun at the same time.  The early birds were lucky and managed to help harvest strawberries and peas.  This is a job that most kids love, and luckily my first few cars to arrive were families with all too willing kids.

Next we set about tackling the weeds amongst the winter squash.  These rows have not been touch yet this season, and the weeds were large and thick.  Groups set up in the rows and began to liberate the weeds between my irrigation drip-tape.

I then had another eager volunteer run the rototiller and till up the weeds in the pathways.  (You can see him in red in the top right-hand side of this photo.)  You can also see, in the left foreground, where, last week, I used the hoe and cleared out some weeds.  However it started raining before I got too far on this row, and I was forced to stop.

By the end of our session the winter squash looked pretty good.  The volunteers had weeded around and between the squash plants, and the rototilling had taken care of most of the weeds in the walkways.

There was just one row that was not weeded completely, but we did manage to remove the weeds around the squash plants so that they could get a bit more sun. I'll have to have volunteers get to that row later.

While some were working on the squash, others were removing weeds in the tomato row. 



 
There were a few working on each side of the row and before long the entire row was free from weeds.



And just because it was (finally) a beautiful day, I thought I'd share some photos of the flowers maintained by the Brighton Garden Club.  They look so pretty right now, as they welcome everyone into the garden.

And Daisies - my favorite flower of all.  I'm glad these are here because they make me smile every time I pass them.

Finally, our new sign is up, and visible from US23!

No comments:

Post a Comment