Thursday, June 12, 2014

12 Lbs of Strawberies!

It rained almost all day yesterday, and we even got some rain in the garden today, but we did manage to harvest 12 pounds of strawberries before the rain fell. I taste-tested one of these little buggers and they are so sweet and tasty!

We re-use old produce containers out in the Victory Garden, such as the ones in the photo above.  However today I used up my last small sized container, and now I only have large (think Costco sized) containers left.  I prefer the 1lb containers you find in the grocery store so we can share the harvests with more people.  If you'd like a simple way to reuse and recycle your strawberry and produce containers, consider donating them to the garden.  I'll happily take them off your hands!

A volunteer and I weeded the beets, and then she planted another row of golden beets for a late summer harvest.  (They really are beautiful when they are harvested, they remind me of peaches in color.)  Mid way through planting the sky opened up and rain fell on her, so she never got to the red beets.  I'd take a photo of the nicely weeded beets to share, but it was raining way to hard for me to take a photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment